Enduring Powers of Attorney Generator
- My CD is damagedIf your CD has become damaged (either in the post or otherwise) you can download the EPA Generator Software from the Law Society at www.lawsociety.ie (login required) or here (registration required).
- My computer cannot read the CDIt is possible that your CD has become damaged (either in the post or otherwise). You can download the EPA Generator Software from the Law Society at www.lawsociety.ie (login required) or here (registration required).
- Nothing happens when I insert the CD (the CD does not autorun)
Some machines (or their administrators) have the CD/DVD Autorun facility switched off. You can run the installer manually by doing the following:
- open "My Computer" this may be on your desktop or in the Windows "Start" menu
- select the CD/DVD drive (it will be called "EPAGen 18.104.22.168") by right clicking on it with the mouse
- select "Open" or "Explore"
- double-click on "EPA-Setup.exe"
The installer should then run.
- The installer is changing the output directory
When you perform a re-installation on the same machine, or you perform an network installation where the application has already been installed on the network, the installer will take the value for the output directory used in the initial install. If you change this, it will change for the whole installation, i.e. all users. It does not, though overwrite the original output directory.
You should be careful how this is done on a network installation.
If you wish every user to share an output directory, you should enter an ouput directory on a shared network drive.
If you wish each user to have a separate output directory, you will have to set the output directory in the installation to be a directory on a local machine drive (e.g. C:). In this case, each user's output directory will be on their local machine.
- I have installed on the network but my users cannot see/run the application
To install on a networked drive a number of conditions must be met.
- Each user/machine must use the same drive mapping letter (e.g: P: ) to access the application.
- Each user must either share the same output directory on the mapped network drive or the output directory must be set to be on a local drive on each users machine (see the question on output directories)
- The installer must be run on each machine/for each user that will use the application by a user with Administrator rights (the installer will check for this automatically).
- On subsequent installs, the user should select the directory on the mapped network drive where the application was originally installed and should accept whatever output directory is provided as the default (unless they want to change it for all users).
- Subsequent installs into the same directory will not overwrite the database or any already generated output files.
- The install on each machine is required to set up the application icon/menu entries and to set the necessary network security permissions for that machine.
Usage - General
- Printing the documents does not workThe application uses the free Adobe PDF Reader for previewing and printing the documents which are generated as .pdf files. If you do not have the reader installed, you can download it from www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html.To set up printing preferences in Adobe Reader, select "File", "Print Setup.." from within Adobe Reader.
- I cannot modify the output documentsAt the request of the Law Society the application generates the output documents as .pdf files which are not editable. This is because the format of the main EPA documents is very tightly specified by legislation. For the key EPA documents, the application allows the entry and update of all user changeable data.